Not registered? click here



RESEARCHES & UPDATES
ONGOING
befriend a car
Car's friends: 0

Please accept statistics and marketing cookies to view this content.



Chassis no. 1146 - Engine no. 1505
Coachbuilder: Morelli
Categories: E- Historic event cars; F- Cars owned by the famous; G- Team cars; L- Limited edition cars
Owner: Private Collection
The car raced the 1955 Mille Miglia, ranking 14th overall and 2nd in class. From 1954 had a long and successful career, mostly in France, driven by Luc Descollanges and later by Paul Pignard, father of the famous Michel (Pinuche), until the end of ‘50s.
work in progress exhibitions lab

description
In 1937 the three surviving Maserati brothers, Ettore, Ernesto and Bindo, sold out to the Orsi Group in Modena to avoid bankruptcy. The assignment contract included a ten-year consultancy for the Maserati brothers. After that period, in 1947, they decided to come back to San Lazzaro di Savena, near Bologna and found the Officine Specializzate per la Costruzione Automobili Fratelli Maserati S.p.A. – O.S.C.A. for short – to build limited edition competition cars. The Maserati brothers were real racers, and their little O.S.C.A.s built, were real racing cars, the ultimate expressions of a long line of outstanding cars that bore their name, beginning in 1926. O.S.C.A.'s first automobile was the MT4, for Maserati Tipo 4 cilindri. Their goal was to develop an automobile to compete in the 1100 cc racing class. The choice of a small displacement was due to financial reasons: two years after World War II, Italy was still economically prostrate, moreover, there were no sponsors or big car manufacturers behind them to support the development of the car. There weren’t and won’t be teams of engineers or technicians in the years to come: Ernesto Maserati is solely responsible for conception and design. Over the next eight years the MT4 was developed into the most successful under-1500 cc sports/racing car in the world. The chassis followed the lines of their A6GCS Maserati (the last model they designed before leaving the Maserati factory): a tubular frame with independent double A-arms front suspension and a live axle on the back. The 1092 cc engine had an alloy headed FIAT-derived block and the bodywork was built as a two-seater barchetta. Tested by the same Ernesto, the car made its racing debut in September 1948 driven by Gigi Villoresi who, against racers and cars of the highest level brought the small O.S.C.A. to victory. A young Veronese, Giulio Cabianca, bought an OSCA 1100. He began a very long series of successes and, then, more and more drivers will be driving an Osca. The brothers continuously developed the engine and created (for the MT4-2AD) their own aluminum-block engine design with twin cams and cc started to grow, from 1342 cc, to 1453 cc and then, finally, to the twin-spark 1491 cc variant. O.S.C.A. fit seven different versions of their alloy Inline-4 engine into the MT4, and all fell below the 1.5 liter mark. Of the around 200 O.S.C.A. cars produced, perhaps 80 were MT4s, and of the MT4s, records show 40 barchettas with Morelli of Ferrara bodies. There were other interpretations, of course, like the coupes of Vignale or Frua. But the most interesting aspect is that many MT4 were updated in the body with the years, even by artisans, to be always competitive in the races in which they participated. The MT4 was OSCA's most prolific model, but the company also produced a variety of models in both single and two-seater configuration fitted with four, six, and even twelve-cylinder engines, from 750 cc to 4500 cc.

1954 O.S.C.A. MT4-2AD, chassis n°1146, Morelli bodied, was first owned by the Scuderia Sangiorgio Autocorse racing team and had a long and successful career, mostly in France. The car faced several 1954 events in the hands of the French racing driver Luc Descollanges. In Italy, the car raced the 1955 Mille Miglia, ranking a great 14th place overall and a 2nd place in class. By 1956, chassis n°1146 went back again to France and began to be raced by Paul Pignard, a talented mechanics and driver, father of the famous racing driver Michel Pignard (Pinuche). The car was raced until the end of ‘50s by Paul Pignard in several events, then it was exported to the U.S., went back later to Italy, restored and, then, owned by a Japan enthusiast. The car was fitted from mid ‘80s to mid ‘90s with a 1350cc engine but, later, recovered its original engine. Recently, the rare 1.5l engine car returned to Italy.
videos
No videos
clubs & registers
No clubs & registers
history - owners & events
25th July 1954
L'Aosta - Gran San Bernardo
| Aosta | Italy
driver: Luc Descollanges
22nd August 1954
Grand Prix de La Baule
| La Baule | France
driver: Luc Descollanges
25th September 1954
Rallye du Beaujolais
| Beaujolais | France
driver: Luc Descollanges
10th October 1954
Les Coupes du Salon
| Montlhéry | France
driver: Luc Descollanges
30th April 1955 - 1st May 1955
Mille Miglia
| Brescia-Roma-Brescia | Italy
driver: Luc Descollanges
entry number: 542
29th May 1955
12 Heures internationales d'Hyères
| Hyères | France
driver: Luc Descollanges
entry number: 66
3rd June 1956
Course de Côte Nationale Serrières-Annonay
| Serrières | France
driver: Paul Pignard
entry number: 33
29th June 1956
Course Internationale de Côte du Mont Ventoux
| Côte d'Azur | France
driver: Paul Pignard
entry number: 121
15th July 1956
Course de Côte de Donzy le Pertuis
| Donzy le Pertuis | France
driver: Paul Pignard
30th May 1957
6 Heures de Forez
| Forez | France
driver: Michel Bléhaut
entry number: 34


links
No links
press review

 




err login
Privacy Policy