Not registered? click here



RESEARCHES & UPDATES
STANDBY
befriend a car
Car's friends: 0

Please accept statistics and marketing cookies to view this content.



from the same collection
Chassis no. 0244M - Engine no.
Coachbuilder: Vignale
Categories: E- Historic event cars; F- Cars owned by the famous; G- Team cars; L- Limited edition cars (no. 46 manufactured)
Owner: Museo Ferrari (Italy)
One of the four 166 MM berlinetta Vignale bodied. Winning car at 1953 12 Heures internationales d’Hyères and 2nd at 12 Heures internationales de Reims.
work in progress exhibitions lab

description
The Ferrari 166 - the number assigned to a Ferrari model traditionally corresponds to the displacement of each cylinder - was the direct evolution of the first 125 (fitted with a 60° V12) from 1947. The engine of that early car, designed by Gioacchino Colombo, had first been transformed into the 159 and then into the 166, to reach the limit of the two litre class.
To pay tribute to the first great success at the 1948 Mille Miglia, Ferrari upgraded the 166 Sport into the 166 MM. In 1953, an evolution was developed that brought the power to 160 hp and other improvements. These cars contributed more than any other previous model, scoring many of Ferrari's first international victories and made the company a great manufacturer of sports cars.
All 166s sat on a dedicated tubular chassis designed by Ferrari but produced by the specialized Gilco in Italy.
A total of 46 Ferrari 166 MM were built in two series in both berlinetta and spider (barchetta) versions: 33 cars of the first series and 13 of the second from 1953. Most of them were bodied by Carrozzeria Touring. A few others were bodied by Allemano, Vignale and Zagato. One was completely revised by Abarth. One was built in-house in Ferrari and later refined at Carrozzeria Autodromo.

This chassis is one of four Vignale bodied. All of Vignale's Ferraris are made up of many body panels that are formed on the chassis underneath it. The body was built in aluminum and almost all the design come from Giovanni Michelotti. He worked closely with Alfredo Vignale, one of the newest coachbuilders in Turin, at the time. The two had worked together before at Stabilimenti Farina.
During the season 1953 this car won the 12 Heures internationales d’Hyères and came second at the first 12 Heures internationales de Reims.
videos
No videos
documents & certificates
clubs & registers
No clubs & registers
history - owners & events
1952 - 1954
owner: Francois Picard | France
7th June 1953
12 Heures internationales d'Hyères
| Hyères | France
driver: Francois Picard
co-driver: Charles Alberto Pozzi
entry number: 21
4th July 1953 - 5th July 1953
12 Heures internationales de Reims
| France
driver: Francois Picard
co-driver: Charles Alberto Pozzi
entry number: 27
1954 - 1974
owner: Piero Umberto Sartori | Italy
23rd May 1954
Trento - Bondone
| Trento | Italy
driver: Piero Umberto Sartori
20th June 1954
Trieste Opicina
| Trieste | Italy
driver: Piero Umberto Sartori
entry number: 63
1975
Race Car Museum of Monza
| Monza (MI) | Italy
May 1992
Galleria Ferrari
| Maranello | Italy
6th December 2014 - 14th December 2014
Bologna Motor Show
| Bologna | Italy


links
No links

 




err login
Privacy Policy